Randy A. Haskins Memorial Scholarship Page
The Iowa Chapter of HIMSS scholarship program was established in memorial of Randy A. Haskins. The program is designed to encourage and promote individuals to pursue degrees, careers and advance their knowledge in healthcare technology / healthcare information and management systems.
Randy A. Haskins is the only president in Iowa HIMSS history to serve two terms from 2003-04 and 2008-09. During his presidency, Iowa HIMSS began to offer scholarships for the first time. It is because of his hard work and dedication to healthcare IT that Iowa HIMSS has memorialized the scholarship in his honor. Randy was an inspirational leader who was actively involved in his community, including the Iowa Chapter of HIMSS. Please visit the testimonials page to learn more about Randy and his service to health IT.
Purpose: to provide financial assistance and recognition to a qualified individual in an accredited healthcare IT related program and to a qualified individual working on professional development/career advancement in healthcare technology, healthcare information, or management systems with a health focus.
Objective: to provide one student and one professional scholarship to worthy candidates.
One $1500 student scholarship and a one-year student HIMSS membership will be offered to selected student in a graduate or undergraduate program in health management, health information technology, management program with a health focus, or technology programs with a focus in healthcare information technology.
One (up to $500) professional scholarship will be offered to selected individual for professional development or career advancement related to healthcare technology / healthcare information and management systems.
Eligibility & Requirements:
Students must be enrolled in a degree program at an accredited college or university and reside in Iowa within chapter boundaries. Certificate programs are not eligible for student award. Students must have completed at least one quarter or semester in their currently enrolled Healthcare Information Technology related degree program. This scholarship has submission deadlines. The recipient will be required to serve on a local HIMSS committee from July to June. Meetings are held monthly via teleconferencing.
Professionals must be a member of the Iowa HIMSS Chapter. The scholarship must be used for professional development or career advancement which includes but not limited to attending a class, school, college, workshop, conference or certification (CPHIMS, CAHIMS, RN-BC Informatics, RHIT, Project Management, etc). This is a rolling scholarship.
Students must complete the following:
- Submission of Scholarship application and related documents in a single PDF file via email to iowa.president@HIMSS.org no later than February 10th
- Two letters of professional recommendation must accompany the application. These should include letters from superiors for whom the candidate has worked with and/or college professors with whom the candidate had studied under.
- A minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0. A most recent transcript(s) must be included with the scholarship application. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable
- A short essay (500 – 750 words double spaced) that addresses the following questions
- What is a major issue facing the health industry and how can information technology address the issue?
- How do you envision your role in Healthcare Information Technology in the future?
Professionals must complete the following:
- Submission of Scholarship application and related documents in a single PDF file via email to iowa.president@HIMSS.org
- Two letters of professional recommendation must accompany the application. At least one recommendation should be from a superior for whom the candidate has worked for.
- A personal essay describing how your class/workshop/conference/certification will assist in your professional development /career advancement in healthcare technology /healthcare information and management systems.
- A copy of transcripts/receipts/exam results, as applicable, for scholarship intent.
Recognition of Awardees:
Recipients will be announced at Iowa HIMSS events, on the Iowa HIMSS Chapter website and social media outlets.
The schedule of scholarships for Students will be as follows:
January 10th, 2021 Application published to website and open for submission
February 10th, 2021 Applications due at midnight
February 2021 Review of applications and selection of award recipients
March 2021 Iowa HIMSS Board approval of scholarship awards nominees
April 2021 Award recipients and candidates notified by email/phone
The schedule of scholarships for Professionals will be given on a rolling basis.
Any questions or concerns about the Randy A. Haskins Memorial Scholarship process can be directed to: