Randy A. Haskins Memorial Scholarship Page
- Randy's life was cut way too short by a rare cancer called Leiomyosarcoma. Leiomyosarcoma is a soft tissue cancer. He had some vague symptoms and the cancer was diagnosed as an incidental finding during testing. By the time it was discovered it had already spread to his lung, liver and several spots in his bones. He continued to do well for several months, undergoing radiation therapy and participating in chemotherapy studies at the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics.
- Randy fought long and hard but lost his battle on April 21, 2014-the same day as his 51st birthday. He is irreplaceable and dearly missed by all of those who knew and loved him. Randy would say he had a good life, with many blessings and that he just wished it could have lasted longer.
- Randy began his career in IT in 1989 at Mercy Medical Center North Iowa. He began as an analyst in what was a very small department. He gradually worked his way up to director, a position he stayed in until he was no longer able to work. He saw the department grow not only in numbers but in responsibilities. Randy loved his role at Mercy and cared deeply about each and every one of his employees. They were just like family to him.
- Randy's accomplishments during this tenure were great and plentiful; they include:
- Leading Mercy to the electronic age. When Randy begin his career at Mercy, there were less than 100 computers within Mercy Health Network – North Iowa, today, there are 4,200.
- Transitioning the hospital to an Electronic Health Record system (Cerner), as well as the clinics (NextGen).
- Serving as a Hospital Board Liaison for Regional Health Service of Howard County.
- Also under his leadership, Mercy – North Iowa was named a Most Wired Hospital for several consecutive years. He served as president of the Iowa HIMSS (Health Information and Management Systems Society), was a member of CHIME (College of Healthcare Information Management Executives), and served as an inspiring community volunteer
- Randy was proud of his membership in HIMSS. He served as president twice.
- Amy Haskins
Randy's life revolved around his family and friends. He enjoyed golfing, swimming, boating, and family trips with his wife Amy, and children Emma, Sarah, and Evan. He gave of himself to the community in many ways, including his involvment in the Iowa Chapter of HiMSS. Randy is the only president in Iowa HiMSS history to serve two terms 2003-04 and 2008-09. Prior to Randy’s presidency, Iowa HiMSS did not offer a scholarship fund. Thanks to him, we have a scholarship fund which we are now memorializing in his honor.
The Randy A. Haskins scholarship program is designed to encourage and promote individuals to pursue degrees and careers in the healthcare information and management systems industry.
- Scholarships are given annually:
- Both scholastic and certification scholarship applications will be considered
The scholarship will be presented in May 2016, at the Iowa HIMSS event.
If you would like to donate to this scholarship to support Iowa HIMSS members that are continuing their education in the Healthcare IT field, please click here. We appreciate your generosity!